Tuesday, June 19, 2012

From fearful and fat to half marathon...and beyond?

Yeah, the title seems a bit harsh. But it's how I feel, and how I perceive it.

I completed a half marathon, and I did it in 2:24:33 - well under my goal time of 2:30. This, even despite the high humidity and doubt that set into my mind the night before. To be honest, I had even mentally prepared myself for moving my goal back to 2:40. I figured 2:30 was just too lofty. Turns out, it wasn't.
 (Note: I will do a race recap sometime in the near future, perhaps this weekend).

Last year at this time, I had just done my first 5k and laughed at people who suggested "next year, we should do a half marathon". Then the idea grew on me, I felt stronger and stronger, and decided to go for it, all the while saying "a half marathon will be it for me, I have no desire to go further than that".

Famous last words.

Here I sit, still fresh off of my very first half marathon. I'm still a little sore. But it was amazing, and I can't wait for the next one I have planned in September.

But something inside me is nagging at me....*Marathon. 26.2 miles. Marathon. 26.2 miles* ...

Could I seriously be contemplating a full marathon in my future? It seems absolutely ridiculous. Seriously. So ridiculous it's almost comical. And the time commitment...oh dear the time commitment. I work full time, I'm in grad school, and I have 2 little kids. Really - is adding MARATHON TRAINING to the list, a smart idea? Yet I can't stop thinking about it.  I love the idea of how strong my body can become while training for a full marathon. The accomplishment and pride I will feel when crossing the finish line. The incredible journey I have been on during this path to good health and fitness. How far I've come. The reaction from people who knew the "old" me when they find out that I run marathons. The amazing support from other runners and spectators at these races. It's just all so awesome to me. I want to take it up a notch, I want to complete a full marathon. I have time to think about it. It's not happening in 2012, that is for sure. But I'm thinking next summer.

Am I nuts?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment