Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Be positive...but be realistic.

I came across an "inspirational" photo today that really bugged me. I'm totally into inspirational quotes and pictures (just "Like" me on Facebook and you'll see that right away). 



But something about this one rubs me the wrong way, which is saying a lot because I'm a pretty breezy person. I wasn't bothered at all by the fit "what's your excuse" mom months ago, which caused quite a stir in the health & fitness community. I realize some may feel this was no different , and I can understand that view. But for whatever reason, this grates on me and that did not. 

I think it's because the quote on this is a direct expectation that anyone can, and if they work hard, should look like the picture. And the picture is a perfectly toned, tan, shiny example of the wonders of working out like a banshee + photoshop. Not that the "no excuses" photo wasn't some of those things, but I personally felt it was more about the basic premise that where there's a will, there's a way...to meet ANY of your goals. And that people meet their goals while leading busy lives and overcoming obstacles all the time, so your excuses are just that....excuses. Not that your goal has to be looking like her, but maybe it's to lose 10 or 100 lbs. To be able to lift X amount of weight. To run a certain distance or pace. I guess (to me) it just felt applicable to any range of situations.

This photo and quote on the other hand....way unrealistic. "Nothing will stop me from achieving this". I mean....for real?! It seems so unhealthy to see THIS as your goal. And I'm all about believing in yourself, but the average person can't and won't achieve this level of fitness. I'm not saying nobody can....so I'm sorry if you're one of the exceptions. This doesn't apply to you in that case. I'm talking to the other 99% of the population!

Reach for the stars. Absolutely reach for the stars. But don't kid yourself, either. Be realistic because otherwise you'll be setting yourself up or failure in the end, rather than celebrating your victories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment