Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Easy?!

Awhile back I mentioned a radio ad for a weight loss program (fad) that rubbed me the wrong way. Someone who works at the station has supposedly been doing the program and losing weight, so she's the spokeswoman for it during these ads. 
Every so often the as gets updated with new verbiage and her current weight loss. 

This week there's a new version. And guess what, she has lost 45 lbs, and it has been "Easy"! She couldn't have done it on her own, but with the help of X program, it has been EASY!

I call BS. Obviously it's an advertisement, the whole point is to sell and talk it up. I know this. But I just can't help it, it still bugs me. I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not a fan of weight loss fads, although at the same time I acknowledge that different things work for different people. But regardless of how you do it - pills, supplements, diets, programs, or just plain lifestyle change (aka the hardest/best way)...it's still not easy. If it was easy, then obesity wouldn't be an epidemic. If X program was easy and truly effective, it would be the go-to for everyone and we'd all be under a size 6. 

I guess as much as "fad" weight loss solutions bother me, it bothers me even more that they're advertised as being "easy". 

Anyhow. I'd love to hear from her 5 years down the road, well after she has met her goal and life has moved on past her program. Will it still be easy? Will she be maintaining her 45lb+  loss? If so, will it still be through the same company to which she has to keep shelling out tons of money, or will she be doing it on her own?

I'd be interested to find out someday, though I know I never will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment