Thursday, July 19, 2018

Running Naked

Running naked feels weird and unnatural. Why is that?  It’s not like we were born with a GPS attached to us, and it’s not like you NEED to track everything in order for it to count.....

...that’s right, the naked I’m referring to is being without a GPS watch or some sort of fitness tracker.

A couple of weeks ago, I misplaced (lost) my Fitbit Charger. Looked everywhere for it, and came up empty handed. And so, since I’ve started running again, I’ve been doing it NAKED! *Cue horrified face*.  It was not easy at first...I’m totally a tracker. I’m damn near obsessive about having each run tracked so I can see how I did and see the increase (or decrease) in pace or distance over time. I do tend to Che k it often during my runs, to see how my pace is and help push myself to go a little faster, or remind myself to slow down. Running without my Fitbit felt like a had a giant question mark when it came to my progress the last couple of weeks. I did use my Iphone’s Health App to at least track daily steps, which is cool, but just not the same. However, I will say, I got used to it. And even liked it. It started to feel good to run without having any kind of device to refer to. To just go, and go at whatever pace my body naturally fell into. No temptation to analyze (over analyze) time, pace, distance...I just went. Didn’t know my pace at any given time, never knew what my final exact mileage or overall pace was.

Yesterday, my husband found my charger (of course, since 2 more are on the way from Amazon). And it felt good to have it back when I went out this morning. I’m excited to track my progress as I get further into training for the Ely Half. But, I’m goung to keep in mind that sometimes, a naked run is freeing. Sometimes, you just need to run NAKED.


No comments:

Post a Comment