Saturday, January 29, 2011

Opinions?

If this treadmill thing works out (and it sounds like it should - hubby even mentioned going to Sears this weekend to check some out and stand on some to see how they feel)...I am debating a change in routine.

Currently I am getting up at 4:30 am each day (due to overtime at work, which doesn't look to be dying down any time soon). I have always thought that exercising in the morning might work best for me, but there is just no time to go to a gym unless I want to get up at 3:15 am. I could work out doing my videos and such in the living room, but that time is prime time for the kids to wake up easily...even just from the sound of my steps doing jumping jacks or something. And so, I've been doing the next best thing (and only other possible thing) which is to work out after the kids go to bed and after I get all my cleaning done.

When we get our treadmill though, it will be in the basement. The kids will be 2 floors above there, and there is no worry of waking them up. I could change my alarm to 4 am each morning and get in a quick 30 or 40 minute workout on the treadmill some mornings, then continue on like normal with a shower/breakfast and what not. Maybe I would eat part of breakfast before the treadmill, like a piece of fruit or something just to get me going.

So what I want opinions on is: Do you think I should bite the bullet and start getting up at 4 am each day to work out? When all the overtime at work dies down, I start my work day at 7:30 so I won't have to get up *quite* so early to workout, anyways.
Do you ever get up early like that in order to fit in a workout?

And some days I could even still do a short workout in the evening...what a way this would be to ramp up my exercise routine!!

Seriously. It is pathetic how excited I am getting about this. OK...maybe not pathetic, (because I am making healthy lifestyle changes here, people!!)...but....surprising. To be honest I am surprised that things are going as well as they are. In the past when I have tried to start dieting and exercising, I do well for a couple of weeks and lose maybe 4 or 5 lbs...then I just fall off the wagon. This time, I've been going twice that long and feel no desire to let up.

It feels foreign, but nice.

3 comments:

  1. You should do whatever will keep you going. If you want to get up every morning at 4 then I say do it. You have come this far. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you work every morning, where you have to be up at 4:30am? Or is it just a few days per week? I would suggest trying to plan on hitting the treadmill 4 times per week (or 5 if you want!), and would probably schedule at least half of the runs on my "off" days ... like the weekend when you can have your husband's help w/ the kids while you get in 30 minutes or so.

    But if it's an everyday thing ... I would probably bite the bullet and get up at 4am for now. I personally HAVE to do my run first thing in the morning (I literally roll out of bed and go directly to the treadmill), but b/c I get bad cramps if I try any other time of the day. But I also don't wake up until about 7am most days, so it's a lot easier for me ...

    ReplyDelete