Saturday, June 18, 2011

My First 5k - Official Results!

Well, I did it and I survived.

38:48!

My official time was 38:48, so I beat my goal to come in under 45 minutes and even beat my secondary "super goal" to come in under 40 minutes.

Some random stats:
My average pace was a 12:30 mile.
I came in 1172 out of 1485
I came in 652 out of 897 females
I passed 54 people; I was passed by 538 people

I have to say that I am very satisfied with my results. It was hard...I stil struggled mentally even with all the people running around me and people cheering us on. I think I just need to get over the idea that races are something I just don't do. Because that was the case for the first 28 years of my life, but now I am in year 29, and things have CHANGED. I need to remember that.

The last quarter mile or so, my shoulder was killing me. And afterwards, my knees were pretty sore. Not like an injury, more like from the pounding on pavement. I'm not used to that...most of my runs have been on packed gravel or the treadmill. Though I must say it was nice to not be going up and down big hills constantly, like I do when I go for runs at my parents house.

As I approached the finish line, I had tears in my eyes. For one, because I was glad that I was almost done and could rest my shoulder. But also because I couldn't believe I had actually done it. For some people a 5k is no big deal... They run marathons, they have done dozens of 5ks, they've been in shape their entire lives...but for me this was a huge deal. And I DID it!

Two huge shout outs: One to my sister in law, who finished in her personal best of 30:58, shaving close to 2 minutes off of her last 5k. That is AWESOME and I would love to be doing that well some day! One more shout out to my husband. This was also his first 5k, and he rocked it - finishing in 32:03. What an inspiration he is to do so amazing at his very first 5k (not to mention the fact that he has lost 80 lbs in less than a year). You guys rock!!!

So that is about all for now. I have decided to stop weighing myself for awhile, and start drinking water up the yin yang. We shall see where that gets me :-)

1 comment:

  1. water and nothing else? because that would be a tough goal im trying to reach LOL.

    CONGRATULATIONS!!! what a fantastic job! that is just plain awesome! :)


    i hate running. everything about it is uncomfortable for me. not just the out of shape parts. it is literally painful to run with the stupid grapefruits i have to carry around with me. there are no bras on the planet that help protect me from that.
    thats not my excuse for not running, but thats something i remember for me that i hate hate hate!! its not fair.
    i would also have shin splints. but that wouldnt be horrible i suppose. :P

    ReplyDelete