Thursday, September 27, 2012

Doctor visit & weight update

I established myself with a new primary care physician and with that meant - a weigh in. I was dreading it...I haven't weighed myself in several weeks. Things have been crazy. My life has been turned upside down with all this moving and related junk. So I was relieved to find I have only gained about 5 lbs. At the doc, I weighed 150 on the nose...my low was 143. However I keep track of weights taken right away in the morning and with no clothes on, so really it's probably about a 5 lb difference. I am not thrilled, but satisfied with that. Thankful that it isn't way more. And now - determined to get it back off and then some. The last of it. It's time to finish the weight loss journey once and for all, and start what will probably be the hardest part of all - a lifetime of maintenance. Yes, I have changed my lifestyle. However those old habits so easily creep back up on me. I am battling them even now. The urge to just sit on my butt and veg out all day? Still there. Wanting to buy and eat a package of cookies or a box of cereal? Yep. That urge is still there too. My lifestyle has changed, and I love it, but the old habits are still hiding deep down inside me - I need to make sure I don't ever give in and let them take over again. I realize I might make mistakes (and I have been making a lot of mistakes lately), and that is okay. It's the overall progress that matters, not one bad meal or day or even week.

I have joined a gym and plan to go at least 3 times a week. I am going to get some new running shoes (sorely needed - literally. My knees and leg KILL after I try to run even a mile, and it's because I need new shoes) and start training properly for my half marathon next month. And the hardest of all....I need to pay more attention to my eating habits again. It is a whole new ball game when you are at home as opposed to working with a regular, solid schedule. I am looking for a job, but until I find something, I need to work with the circumstances I have.

One other thing that came up at my doctor appointment was fainting. I cannot recall if I've mentioned it on the blog or not, but in the last few months I have had 2 fainting episodes. One was late at night, while out for a drink. Earlier in the evening I had went on a short walk/run, but it was over 90 degrees and humid out. The other time was about an hour or 1.5 hours after finishing my last half marathon (the Women Rock). My husband said that I needed to ask a doctor about it before he would "let" me run my next race. The doctor was not concerned, and said given the circumstances it is most likely not a sign of any heart problems...rather a common issue with runners, hypoglycemia. Basically I need to be mindful of getting proper nutrition before, during and after races - especially longer or more physically challenging ones). That was his guess as to what happened but obviously wants me to monitor it and let him know if anything else goes on. 

1 comment:

  1. i have found that the doctor's scale is a huge liar. it can add 7-8 lbs to my weight.

    stupid thing. i only hate it because its a freaking liar.

    ReplyDelete