Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Motivation

It can be hard to find your motivation. Impossible, even.

Picture this: You're chillin' on the couch, your hand in a bag of chips, a container of Top the Tater on the table next to you. A pop (or soda, or coke...whichever term you prefer) within close reach. Or a beer. Or wine. Wait, chips and wine isn't classy, you say? Eh. Sounds good to me.

Anyways. Back to our imaginations...There you are, watching your favorite show. Friends reruns, The Simpsons, Grey's Anatomy, Deadliest Catch...pick your poison! And you briefly think to yourself, what am I doing? Why am I stuffing my face like this? How much have I even eaten? Man, I'm going to feel like cra - OMG I can't believe that just happened (and attention promptly goes back to the TV).


Does it sound familiar? I know it does for me. I can't even imagine how many calories I have consumed in my life through mindless eating, or bored eating, or angry eating, or simply "I don't give a f*ck" eating. Sure, the thought of finally getting on track and getting healthy always sounded great. Amazing. Spectacular, even! But wanting something and taking action to get it, are two very different things - and in order to take action, you need to have motivation. Unfortunately, "I want to be skinny" is generally not enough motivation to make a huge life change. Yes, it can be a part of what motivates you, but it needs to be paired with many other, more important motivators.

Health. Family. Children. Pride.

These are all reasons I try to keep in the forefront of my mind throughout my journey, and especially when I am stumbling and need to take a step back and remember why I am doing this. I want to be healthy, I want to feel good. I want to have energy and be confident and not have to worry as much about certain obesity related diseases and problems. I want to be around as long as possible for my family and my children. I want to be a positive influence on my children so that they never have to battle the battle I have battled (get that?). I want to be proud of myself and I want my loved ones to be proud of me, too.

Yep - It doesn't hurt that shopping is more fun. (I can fit into a SINGLE DIGIT SIZE?!? SAY WHAT?!)  Or that while I know my husband loves me no matter what, I am probably slightly more appealing, physically (though he would never admit it, but come on, he is only human!). These are somewhat shallow motivations, but important nonetheless. So don't misunderstand me - I am not saying that it's bad to care about how you look. Most people do, and it's nice to feel you look nice! I am also not saying overweight people can't look nice. They can, and many do. I am just saying, if you find this to be a motivator, then more power to you - just make sure you aren't being solely motivated by this. As exciting as "looking hot" is, it's not a deep enough reason to solely keep you going through such a long, tedious, difficult journey. Your health, well being, and family - THOSE are the types of reasons that will stick with you and help motivate you for the long haul.

Make a list, mental or hard copy - of your motivators. Include everything, big and small. When you find yourself floundering, think of or look back on your list. Take some time to really think about them and take yourself back to the beginning, when you first decided "This is it!". Take yourself back to the CORE of why you are doing what you are doing. Why you decided to undertake this amazingly hard, rewarding, frustrating journey of ups and downs. Sometimes a little reminder is all it takes to get yourself back on track!

So tell me - what are your motivators?! Big or small, let's hear em' all!

No comments:

Post a Comment