Monday, March 18, 2013

Get Lucky 7k

So. The Get Lucky 7k for St. Patty's day. I did this race in 2012, and it's the first race I've done twice (many more to come this year, but, this was the first).
Last year, we had record highs in March. We ran the race in 75 degrees. It was warm. It was dry. It was beautiful out! This year....it was cold. It was windy. And we had gotten a few inches of snow the day before, so some of it was icy. Completely the opposite of the previous year. In fact, it was kind of miserable conditions.

However, despite the race being much more challenging in 2013 than in 2012...I still managed to rock it. I weigh a good 30 lbs less, I'm fitter and I'm faster. Even with the cold (while waiting to cross the start line, my legs got so stiff and cold...it took a good 3/4 a mile before they were warmed up and stopped wobbling from being so stuff) and the ice (most of the slippery spots were within the first mile) I cut my time by 11 minutes...coming in at 41:25. I firmly believe, if it had been dry outside and less windy, I would have done it in under 40. However I am still thrilled with my time, averaging a 9:30 min/mile. Even cooler were my specific results - I passed something like 1200 runners, and only 35 passed me. I came in around 2000 out of 9000 (roughly).

My husband did it as well...he has barely run for several months, and STILL managed to beat his own previous time, in the cold and on the ice, by a minute and a half. How spectacular is that?! I am so proud of him, and of myself.

Next up for me is a local 1/2 marathon in May, followed by another in June. I've begun training...tonight I just got back from Zumba followed by a 5k on the treadmill. Wednesday I will do 4 or 5 miles, and this weekend I need to get a 6-7 miler in.

Let the half marathon preparations begin.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete